Sunday, October 3, 2010

Of Cyborgs, Transhumanism and my own Questions

I found this proposal to be extremely impressive, her wealth of knowledge on the subject is evident from her citations as well as her preliminary studies in her undergraduate work. It’s interesting to see how she takes her primary interest of cybernetics and turns it into a question on accessibility and power. I do wonder about her bias given that it is such a personal topic for her. I think it would give the whole paper an interesting perspective but I’m not sure if it would enhance or diminish her findings. I suppose I would depend on how she chooses to approach it.

It makes me wonder about my own choice of research topic. Admittedly issues of gender and equality are personal for me in that I suppose I do live through them, but so does everybody else and I rarely think of my own life/reality in those terms all the time. I wonder how this will affect my bias?

Anyway, I think I have my research question now it’ll probably get tweaked again but I think this will be the gist of it.

“Will the increasing use of technologies, like computers, in classrooms and professional settings, specifically in the information sector, help in breaking down the gender barrier?”

Okay that’s a bit too wordy but you can see where I’m going with it right?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alisha,

    Good for you for being able to phrase it in a (not-too-wordy!) question. I can't do that without talking in a circle for 20 minutes and ending with, "You know what I mean, right?"

    I'd be interested in seeing your opening spiel about this, since you're the first one in our group brave enough to post anything. You do have my interest piqued as to how computers might possibly influence the gender ratio in the information field (I'm making an assumption that by "gender barrier" you mean the gender bias that we've been talking about in our LIS class, but I could be totally wrong). If you feel like rambling about this a bit more I'd certainly be interested in hearing how you came to this question.

    Best.

    ReplyDelete