Sunday, October 3, 2010

Talking it out

Luker never lets me down. This past week I was worrying (like so many others) about my research proposal. Then, just when I needed it, appeared "Appendix One" - "What to do if you don't have a case." (229). It just so happens, I don't have a case :( In the appendix, Luker suggested talking out your ideas. We also did this in class, and I felt like I would have liked more time. So, I spent a lot of time this week talking to my family, asking for their thoughts and opinions. I find this really helps develop ideas! I think my biggest mistake was that I didn't write the ideas down right away. Since these conversations emerged out of inquiries into my homework situation or over dinner etc. I wasn't prepared with writing materials. Now when I think back to television shows where people recorded their thoughts, like Scully on the X-files, I think ... hey, maybe they were on to something ... I will definitely spend more time talking to my family and friends about my research ideas. Hopefully it will help me develop a great research topic.

3 comments:

  1. And you can use this blog. Apparently we're suppose to be creating discussions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also found the "talking" to be helpful, although for some reason I'm having a hard time putting my ideas in print for all to see. Instead Sara and a few others were subjected to a lot of stuttering and rambling this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree Mary! Talking out research ideas has always been the best way I've found to solidify my research question. I spent my last year of undergrad working on a very long research paper and I found especially in the beginning talking to people (especially those who didn't know much about my subject matter) helped me to really figure out my argument. Sometimes hearing what my friends/family were confused about helped me to narrow down my research.

    ReplyDelete