Friday, October 15, 2010

Question regarding proposals

How many categories are you guys throwing in there? I have two categories that divide "Background" (as in, what I've studied to place my research in context) and then "Research" (what I'm proposing to do). I feel like there might be some overlap in these. I find it funny that some of the studies Sara provided us with were category-heavy and others (like the disability one) had almost no categories at all.

I am a person who likes to CLASSIFY and ORGANIZE things (caps lock emphasizes my intense like for organizing stuff into headings). Plus I think it makes the whole proposal easier to read.

I initially made a post where I included both my sections from my proposal and asked for comments, and then deleted it for fear that I'd be plagiarizing myself if I handed it in on Monday but had already published it on the internet. (Cite it Right has confused me more than ever, it seems.)

My other huge problem is with the "methodology" section. Is it just me, or is it difficult to have anything other than a very broad "guess" at the methods that may be required to complete your research? I am so tempted to write in the "Methodology" section, "I am going to do research" and just be done with it. However, in the interest of not failing, I will not do that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also a big fan of organizing and am prone to over-doing it, so what I did was look at the samples so I could get a better idea of what had worked for other people. I found the sample about music had a nice breakdown. They had 5 headings--program of study statement, context, objectives, methodology, and contribution to the advancement of knowledge. I'm still working on my proposal and haven't decided if this is how I'm going to break it down exactly, but I do plan on something similar. Nonetheless, I did find looking at each of the samples to see what worked best.

    You're right about the methodology. I think it's tough to know exactly how you're going to end up doing your research, but having general ideas will probably be enough for now. I'm going to be as specific as possible, but knowing if I end up doing this research, it probably won't play out exactly like I've outlined it in my proposal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used the examples and they have helped a lot. The important thing is to outline your research questions and find ways to outline how you will do that. Luker this week talks about sampling which is important to consider in your SSHRC because you need to pick and choose what you look at.

    ReplyDelete