Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Here There Be Dragons

Hi. Well I've never actually blogged before so bear with me and forgive my lack of proper sentence structure/rambling-ness.

I'd like to discuss, in brief, the notion of "truth" or the pursuit of truth in the social sciences as proposed by Luker in Salsa dancing into the social sciences. I must say that I partially agree with Luker in her assertion that searching for the objective truth is like pursuing Zen enlightenment, difficult to achieve but worth the journey. Although, truthfully *lol* I lean more towards the group who believes that the idea of an objective truth is like finding a Komodo dragon in the back yard, possible but not likely.I personally believe that everything is subjective, that knowledge and "facts" are forever entwined in/with bias, which is perfectly alright so long as you remember its there. Yet like Luker I enjoy the journey, the challenge of trying to find that elusive objectivity.

I'll stop now 'cuz I've run out of room.

1 comment:

  1. Funny you should choose her example of Zen enlightenment... there's a Zen Master blog that I occasionally follow (anyone who writes books titled "Zen Wrapped in Karma, Dipped in Chocolate" deserves at least a quick glance).... where he talks specifically about the idea of working for those Zen Enlightenment moments... and how it fails to help you actually get somewhere (spiritually), and more interesting, gets you suckered in by the corporate people who want your money... that's a terrible summary, but the whole blog is here: http://hardcorezen.blogspot.com/2010/08/done-at-great-sky-next-stop-tassajara.html
    .... (sorry, I can't hyperlink in comments... apparently).... In any case, it makes me think Luker may have picked a really robust example. I can draw all kinds of ties. :)

    ReplyDelete