Sunday, September 26, 2010

"It has the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover"*

I’ve been thinking a lot about the research proposal for this class (re: incessantly) and I found that it ties in rather nicely with this week’s readings in Luker. So now you lucky devils reading this are going to get to observe my scatted illogical though process. Sorry in advance for the confusion.

I currently have an interest but as of yet no question. Which is perfectly all right as I’m not there yet, I don’t know enough. My interest is gender/women in the library field; you know how it fits, socially, economically, politically, because well like it or not almost everything is driven by our preconceptions of gender even in the professional world.

So I have my interest and the question is coming but what about all this frame business Luker is going on about. I admit I’m confused by it. The frame is supposed to be your “hook” apparently but what does that mean? Luker points to her freelance writer friends as examples, you’re trying to sell your question to a given audience. Is that right or did I misunderstand? So does that mean your frame is your bias, perspective or something? Any thoughts?

Sorry if this is more speculative than critical.

* Douglas Adams Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy –I thought it appropriate given the chapter

1 comment:

  1. It's totally appropriate, and also great fun. :)

    In all seriousness-- this is something I struggle with as well. I have an interest, a thought, (well, a lot of thoughts), and possibly even a question... but how to frame all that to catch someone's interest? ... So I'm not helping by giving answers, but I'm hopefully sharing the burden of not knowing with you!

    ReplyDelete