Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hi.Hello.

My name is Varsha and this is actually not my first time blogging. I was 'required' to blog for a few of my classes in my undergraduate but I think my fellow students paid as much attention to my blog as they did the required readings...aka...not at all. So, blogging for this class will be quite a change.

After reading the first chapter of Salsa Dancing Into the Social Sciences, I was glad to read that we will be looking into research methods that deal with the ever expanding quantity of 'Literature'. The age of info-glut has always intrigued me because I can never decide if too much information is a good thing or a bad thing.

For example, the other day I was helping my brother with his grade 9 introductory English essay of "Who is my hero?". He was able to write this entire essay on Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon, simply by consulting a few web pages. My brother has never met Satoshi Tajiri but by reading his paper you might be fooled into thinking so. I remember when I had to write a similar paper in grade 9 and was forced to choose my mother as my hero due to lack of information on J.K.Rowling. That was only 8 years ago.

At this rate, in 8 years one could write their entire Master's thesis paper with only the links provided at the end of a Wikipedia page. Should I cry out in disgust? Or be grateful for the convenience? I can't decide.

2 comments:

  1. Can't you do both? ;p
    I like how you related the readings to personal experience, makes it more relevant not just an academic exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar thing with a celebrity-who-shares-your-first-name assignment in grade 4. I picked Danielle Steele... much to my parents dismay. But at least the library had a book she'd written with an info bit on the back cover. Now... well, a google search shows me that lack of information is no longer the case. Even so... I can't help but think the big issue is the quality of the information. At least wikipedia has other people who *hopefully* weed out the totally ridiculous... and just because something is published in a hand-held-old-fashioned-book, that certainly does not make it true. Quality control, though, still seems to be my sticking point.

    As for JK Rowling... have you seen this? (http://www.ted.com/talks/jk_rowling_the_fringe_benefits_of_failure.html) ... I think I fell in love with her a little bit over that address. :)

    ReplyDelete