Sunday, November 21, 2010

Coding data

I like that Luker calls the "exercise" at the end of chapter 10 "easy." It makes me feel additionally inadequate, as if my weekend of nonstop sleeping (seriously, I think I slept 20 hours this weekend) wasn't enough. My research involves some odd data collection, but the problem isn't so much that I don't know how to code the data -- I can't even process that problem yet -- but that I don't know how to get the data. I've been working on this for a while with the end project in mind, and I'm not really feeling any more capable than I do right now. This is one of those things that I'll have to account for but not do in the research proposal, and if I make some unfounded claim that I can code the data (using CAQDAS, etc.) that I don't yet know how I'm going to get, I think I'll be in trouble. I'm frustrated, troubled, and ready to sleep for another 10 hours.

1 comment:

  1. And Friday was essentially a write-off for me as well, Shawna. I think I spent most of that 24-hour-period sleeping. It *must* be that time of the term. :)

    ReplyDelete