Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The final paper


After reading the previous post, I couldn't help but laugh...

...I have had a similar dream over and over again!!

It's crunch time!
As such it is also the time when every possible 5000 word paper is due within two days of each other. As such, I have had a recurring nightmare in which my research proposal (why librarians are vital to patient libraries) is in the starring role.

I dream up the most fabulous paper!! It has everything! Graphs, floor plans, citations galore! And then it happens: My perfect and almost completed proposal disappears...the computer crashes....and will not turn back on!

(You know you are stressed out when you have recurring nightmares of your computer crashing, or dreaming up your perfect thesis only to forget it in the morning.)

However, I thought it poignant to share this with you all, as funny enough, this "nightmare" of mine is listed in Knight's book in Box 7.1 pp. 162-163:

Pragmatic responses to nine common mishaps:

8. Your computer or web connection crashes: Sometimes I think that every student doing a small-scale study uses a computer programmed to crash the day before the report is due in. Anticipate the problem and know what you will do if it happens.


This might be a gentle reminder to all of us...that computers are only our friends until the day before an assignment is due!!!

My solution? I keep emailing myself EVERYTHING! Every little paragraph I add to a document I save and send it via email....

OCD much???


Christie

"I have CDO: It's like OCD...only the letters are in alphabetical order
...as they should be!"

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I do that too. I email myself (sometimes I put it on google doc if I remember too) my document everytime I stop working on it for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly it's sad, but I can't help but think that "Compulsive Disorder Obsession" is a sort of fabulous re-naming.

    ReplyDelete