Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saved by my readings....

Reading Knight's chapter this week was definitely helpful. I have been so excited about writing my proposal that I might have overlooked the "human" component of my research question. My research is focused on health and people and while the health part seems to be straight forward, the people part isn't so easy. Before reading Knight, I never considered how sensitive people might be health, specifically illnesses, especially if they might have lost a family member etc. Individual sensitivities in research are so important that a special ethics code exists when researchers use people in their research. With a science background, people have always appeared as numbers to me in the form of data. However, now approaching my research from a social science perspective, I, as a researcher need to learn to be more sensitive towards my study participants. Reading Knight this week definitely saved me from making a critical error in my proposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment